The IABP was founded during the first International Building Physics Conference (IBPC) that was organized on 2000 at the Technical University of Eindhoven.
The Chairmen that led the Association during the years were:
- Prof. Jacob Wisse of TU Eindhoven, The Netherlands (1997-2000).
- Prof. Hugo Hens of KU Leuven, Belgium (2000-2003).
- Prof. Paul Fazio of Concordia University, Canada (2003-2006).
- Prof. Jan Thue of Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway (2006-2009).
- Prof. Carsten Rode, Technical University of Denmark (2009-2012 & 2012-2015).
- Prof. Marco Perino, Department of Energy – Politecnico di Torino (2015-2018).